Easter time means chocolate and lots of it. This can be a potentially fatal time of year for pets. Dogs are known for eating things when they are not supposed to. This is especially true of puppies.
Also, dogs have an excellent sense of smell, making it fairly easy to find any secret hiding spots for the chocolate. This can be a dangerous combination when there is chocolate around the house.
Chocolate is derived from the roasted seeds of Theobroma cacao, which contains certain properties that can be toxic to animals: caffeine and theobromine. If ingested, these two ingredients can also lead to various medical complications and may even prove fatal for your dog.
Dogs love the taste but if they eat too much it is toxic to their heart, brain, stomach & intestines. They show signs of vomiting, diarrhoea, increased urination, restlessness & seizures. More advanced signs are stiffness, weakness, coma & in extreme cases can lead to death (cardiac failure).
The poisonous ingredients are methylxanthine alkaloids – primarily theobromine & caffeine.
PRODUCT METHYLXANTHINES (mg/g)
Baking chocolate 16
Semisweet chocolate 9
Milk chocolate 2
Hot chocolate 0.4
White chocolate 0.05
Lethal doses of chocolate are 100 – 200 mg/kg body weight. For example a lethal dose for a 7kg dog = 450g milk chocolate or 150mg baking chocolate.
So keep those chocolate Easter eggs & chocolate bunnies hidden well from your furry family members this Easter!