Insect bites, particularly from bees and wasps occur commonly in spring and can cause a serious allergic reaction.
Due to their curious nature, dogs (and less commonly cats) are often bitten around the face or the paw.
Signs to watch out for:
- Swelling around face or mouth
- Sore paw or sudden lameness
- Breathing or swallowing problems
If your dog has been stung inside their mouth, don’t waste any time. Call us and let us know the situation and that you are bringing in your dog, NOW. A dog stung inside the mouth is serious, especially if the tongue begins to swell or the dog tried to swallow the bee or wasp. This kind of a sting can cut off their air supply and become life threatening quickly.
Even in less severe cases, the sting/barb is often still imbedded and needs to be removed. Your pet may also need an injection to help reduce swelling and pain.
To help prevent stings, keep grass trimmed and remove flowering weeds and objects that may attract bees and wasps such as smelly old bones. Always be on the look out for bee and wasp activity outside and contact us if you think your pet may have been stung.